WHOLEMEAL SCONES by Danuta Kandzia
3 ½ cups of wholemeal spelt flour
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
2 handful of raisins
150g of unsalted butter
1 cup of buttermilk
2 tbls of cane sugar or just sugar
Preheat oven to 200°C or fan assisted 190°. Put parchment paper on the tray or just grease the tray.
- In the bowl mix flour, soda and sugar
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and mix with above so it looks like crumbs. Work it with your fingers.
- Add raisin.
- Make a hole in the middle of your mixture, pour buttermilk and gently mixed together. Make sure it doesn't stick.
- Transfer onto flat surface sprinkled with flour and flatten to about 2.5cm/1inch height.
- Use cup or scone cutter to form your scones
- Bake for 20-23 min. Check if baked in the middle using skewer or match.
- Serve with whipped cream and jam or just what's available!
Why not try a virtual coffee morning? Grab a cuppa and a slice of cake and use Skype, Teams or WhatsApp to video call friends and catch up?